Department of Structural and Computational Biology
We are looking for a highly-motivated lab technician to support our research activities. The position is available for 1 year with the possibility of prolongation up to 6 years, in the newly established lab of Irma Querques at the Department of Structural and Computational Biology at the Max Perutz Labs (Joint-venture of University of Vienna and Medical University of Vienna) located at the Vienna Biocenter Campus. The Querques lab studies the molecular mechanisms by which mobile genetic elements (MGEs) move between and within genomes. Our research aims not only to understand the biological impacts of MGEs on genome remodeling, but also to inform their development as genome engineering tools. We employ an integrative approach, combining structural biology techniques (chiefly cryo-electron microscopy and X-ray crystallography) with biochemical and biophysical methods, and biotechnological approaches (cell-based functional assays, protein design and genome editing experiments). The Research Technician will be affiliated with both the Medical University of Vienna (50%, Leonard lab) and the University of Vienna (50%, Querques lab), this means a fulltime job is offered. Salary corresponds to the University Kollektiv-Vertrag according to qualification and experience.
Duration of employment:1 year/s
Extent of Employment:20 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §54 VwGr. IIIb with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
The successful candidate will support our research activities. Your responsibilities would include:
• Working closely with team members to support experiments in biochemistry, molecular biology, or related areas
• Using and understanding a wide variety of molecular and cell biology techniques – such as cloning, protein/DNA electrophoresis, protein expression and purification, cell culture maintenance and transfection protocols, preparing reagents and common stocks (including competent cells and enzymes)
• Identifying and applying improvements to shared resources and protocols
• Training other lab members in the operation of specialized equipment and provide instruction and guidance on the use of general equipment and standard operating procedures
• Actively participating in group meetings and journal clubs, staying up to date on literature in our research areas and consulting with other lab members on projects
• Gathering and placing lab orders, collect receipts and monitor expenditures
• Management of lab stocks, databases, records and inventory
• Acting as point of contact for communications with technicians/sales representatives
• Acting as Radiation Safety Officer and responsible person for toxic waste disposal and routine refilling of liquid nitrogen tanks
• Assisting with shipment of biological samples, reagents and equipment
• Assisting with equipment management, maintenance and running of routine controls on equipment (in particular Åkta Pure FPLC systems)
• Maintaining insect and mammalian cell stocks
• Maintaining mammalian cell culture room (BSL-2) and dedicated equipment. Previous experience with working at BSL‐2 is desired, but not strictly required
• Assisting with the onboarding of new team members
• Assisting with the management of grant spending and budgets
? Hold a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, molecular biology or a related discipline
? Have at least 2 years hands-on experience in a research lab. Experience with recombinant protein expression (including insect and mammalian cell expression), protein purification, biophysical characterization (including structural biology techniques) and mammalian cell culture maintenance is highly desired
? Be self-motivated and able to perform complex tasks effectively and independently
? Have excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and German
? Have exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail
? Be able to work effectively in a team.
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 27.03.2023, mentioning reference number 13979.
For further information please contact Gruber, Iris +43-1-4277-74320.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Reference number: 13979