Backend Software Engineer (f/m/d)
About the role
At Cropster, we are building market-leading Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions to empower businesses throughout the coffee supply chain. Thousands of customers all over the world from farm to cup use our software products to make better coffee.
As a backend developer you join a team of experienced developers striving to deliver the best possible user experience for our customers. We use Java 11+, the Spring Framework and selected AWS services to deliver a platform used in 100+ countries of the world.
You will work closely with peers, product managers, designers and frontend developers on services that power the specialty coffee industry. We collaborate closely across departments and we acknowledge learning from each other regardless of position or experience. We believe in growing together and we welcome your contributions for architectural and implementation decisions. This role provides ample room to grow not only as an expert in your field, but also as a person.
What you’ll do
- Develop new and improve existing features of our products as part of a cross functional product team in an agile setting. You will understand and solve real world problems for our customers. Our goal is to improve the specialty coffee supply chain on a global scale.
- Work with us using the Scrum framework and you will be involved in the entire software development life cycle. We are looking for people who want to bring in ideas for the specialty coffee industry with both worlds in mind: Customer Satisfaction and technical excellence.
- Write sever side code that works. You will focus on performance, testability and reliability of our system, following best practices and complying with our coding standards. Code reviews are a regular part of your job to help the team improve and share your knowledge with peers.
- Implement REST endpoints for the data exchange between the frontend and the backend and between external services. You will also write and tune database queries for our MySQL database cluster using Hibernate ORM and our business intelligence tools.
- Work with our Infrastructure team on improving the performance, security and stability of our services. Together you will monitor our systems and strive to detect problems before they affect our customers.
- Learn about the specialty coffee industry and have an impact on the livelihoods of tens of thousands of coffee producers.
Our technology stack
- The backend is written with Sprint Framework using Java 11+.
- We use a AWS RDS MySQL Aurora Cluster as relational database and DynamoDB as NoSQL data store. For session caching we use Redis and for our Data Warehouse we use AWS RDS Postgres.
- We use the JSON:API specification and its implementation Crnk for our REST services
- We write Unit and Integration Tests (using JUnit, Mockito and Rest Assured) and strive to apply test driven development where it makes sense. We monitor our applications using Data Dog end to end.
- Our automated CI/CD pipeline builds and deploys our application using Docker Containers. We use our development and staging environment for thorough testing before we release to production.
- We use AWS as cloud provider and utilize a broad set of services to scale the application and our IoT device fleet.
We are looking for someone with
- A degree in Computer Science or related fields or a proven track record in developing non-trivial applications in a professional setting.
- 4+ years of working experience as backend developer on a large code base with a JVM based language such as Java, Kotlin or Scala. You know how to HTTP requests work, know ow to analyze and speed up database queries and you know how to debug a heisenbug when threads are involved. Your are familiar in using Git in a collaborative setting.
- A deep knowledge and passion for software development that goes beyond coding. We are looking for someone who desires to solve real-world problems by writing reusable code that lasts for years, not months.
- A team player mindset. Great communication skills who can explain complex facts also to a non-technical audience. The ability to turn requirements from product management, UX design and software development into maintainable, performant and secure code is essential.
We embrace remote work for engineers who
- Have strong organizational skills and can manage their time and their units of work in harmonization with the team.
- Can bootstrap their technical setup and solve engineering hick-ups independently (Java, Maven, Docker, MySQL, Linux or Mac problems in particular). While we are always there to support you, working from remote also means being able to help oneself more often than in an office setup.
- Are pro-active communicators and enjoy being part of a distributed team. At Cropster we discuss and solve problems together around the globe in a hybrid setup. We are looking for people who want to be part of an amazing team and reach out not only when they need help, but are responsive and predictable and clear in their communication.
At this point, Cropster will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in Austria/the EU for this opening. For Non-EU applicants: please attach your work permit to your application.
Disclaimer:When it comes to our development team, we are fairly new to fully remote working arrangements. While Cropster has been a distributed company since day one, with offices and employees in several countries around the globe, our core product team has always been based in Austria.
We strongly believe that our culture, diversity, and team spirit is the driver of our success and it’s something we cherish and hold in high regard. Joining Cropster as a fully remote employee should not take away from that and we are more than open to adapting and exploring ways to accommodate remote colleagues in the future. We are therefore looking for someone with remote work experience, who helps us shape this idea and turn it into our new reality.
What you can expect
The salary range for this position is € 47K to € 55K gross/yearand we look at factors like your experience and individual qualifications to determine our offer, which includes benefits like an educational and wellness budget, remote work possibilities and working from home, flexible working hours, paid time for volunteer work, an endless stream of really great coffee, and much more. We also make our best possible offer upfront—no games.
We thrive on high commitment and a strong culture of collaboration to achieve our revolutionary mission of a sustainable coffee supply chain. If you want to have a significant impact and work with people who care, Cropster is the right place for you.
We look forward to receiving your application! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact our team.